Thursday, November 13, 2008

Reflections~

In my first blog, I stated the importance of effective communications in workplace. Since that time, my way of thinking has changed, I realized that not only effective communication is important in workplace, it is also the key to get you to where you want to be in your life. Communication is an essential skill for successful business and personal relationships. It has an impact whenever it occurs such as when we use communication to influence every interaction in a positive way and by developing the skills needed to communicate effectively. Effective communication is the key to our success in life, in work, and in relationships. Good communication skills can reduce misunderstandings, errors, frustration, and conflict on a daily basis. The ability to connect and build rapport with other people is a foundation life skill and should ideally develop from young. In addition, developing effective communication skill is a life-long process.

From this module, I learnt a lot of skills and made new friends through projects and group discussions. Although it can be quite stressful when the module’s syllabus starts to move in a fast pace, but I have also learnt to have a better control on my time management which allows me to hand in the necessary work on time. From the past experiences, I used to feel that English course would be a boring module, but after taking this module, I realized that it is an interesting and enriching one. It has equipped me with the necessary skills in a fun and exciting ways. Skills I have learned in this module would be report writing, minutes, agenda, meetings, do’s and don’ts during interviews, presentation skills and lastly effective communication skills that was incorporated during the whole course.

Lastly would like to thank sabrina and wenjie for their patiences and understanding through out the whole project and oral presentation. ~smiles~

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Chiew Yen,

I am in total agreement of your interpretation of effective communication. Such is the importance of such a skill but yet irony compels it to be one of the less practiced skill in society.

Like what I have mentioned in my post, such skills takes time and effort to cultivate. I am sure that your approach to life-long learning will help you build your skills in this area.

Also, having a tight deadline would mean that effective communication is pivotal. Without which, efficiency and mutual understanding is compromised and the lack of time is compounded.

Cheers,
Nic

PeiPei said...

Hi Chiew Yen,

Like what you say, other than learning communication skills in this module, I have also learned how to manage my time carefully in order to meet the deadline of the report.

Like the saying; 'the root of education is bitter but the fruit is sweet.' This module is rather tedious, as we need to meet alot of deadlines. But when doing the reflection of this module, I realised that I have gained alot from it, and get to know a number of new friends as well.

Sabrina He said...

Hey group leader,

Thanks for your great help in the project! It's really pleasant to work with you and Wenjie. You girls are sweet. Yes, effective communication is important in workplace. I hope this course has helped you in your communication with your colleagues and customers now. Do keep in touch!

jay said...

Hi Chiew Yen,

I agree that communication is essential for successful business and personal relationships. A lot of misunderstandings arise when people can't communicate properly, isn't it? I've also benefited much from this module, and hopefully we both will put our newly acquired skills into practice in future!

-jay

grace kim said...

Hi Chiew Yen,

You're so right in saying that "Effective communication is the key to our success in life, in work, and in relationships." We are interacting with people all the time and so it affects every aspect of our life.

Glad you learnt new skills such as time management! Happy too that you found this course "interesting and enriching" despite the heavy workload and tight deadlines.

Thanks for all your hard work and effort.

All the best in your journey towards becoming a more effective communicator!